Lourdes primary is a distinctive religious school which promotes quality education in a catholic environment. We are non- racial nor discriminatory.
The Lourdes school community commits itself to the following:
Lourdes Primary School is registered with the Gauteng Department of Education (G.D.E.) since 1919 and meets all its Governance, Curriculum Standards, Infra-structure, Health and Safety requirements. Academic Teachers are registered with the South African Council of Educators (S.A.C.E.).
Our enrolment rests at 726 learners with a complimenting staff of 22 qualified and competent educators.
Lourdes Primary School (previously known as Holy Cross) comes from a rich tradition dating back to its origin in 1919. It was initially a humble four roomed cottage which was run by the Holy Cross sisters. With the ever-increasing demand of schooling, the sisters expanded the school to include sections for pre-school, lower primary and higher primary, and industrial school, a domestic science block and a boarding hostel. It enrolled about two thousand learners and had a compliment of 34 teachers. In 1953, the government promulgated Bantu Education Act, aimed at controlling all missionary schools. The government withdrew its financial aid from all schools which were not surrendered. The catholic hierarchy who refused to surrender its schools then established a Catholic Education Fund. The response by parents and teachers was generous and this enabled the bishops to retain control of the school.
In the 1960’s the government tried again with its Group Areas Act. Many people were forced out of Alexander and resettled in Soweto. The Holy Cross sisters refused to accept defeat. They rebuilt the school in Diepkloof among their displaced community from Alexander. By 1971 it was “business as usual” in their fine, new, well planned complex of buildings.
In 1976 the resistance of apartheid by youth of Soweto took the form of violent confrontation with the police, hundreds lost their lives country wide. The student population became politicised, and disruptions often violent, became a daily occurrence. Orderly pursuit of education became impossible, and when it was perceived that their lives were at risk, the sisters were withdrawn. The school was handed over to Johannesburg catholic Diocese up to the present day.
This explicit history gives the school community direction and vehemently urges the community to improve and put to good use, rather than destroy the inheritance.
Drama , Poetry, Reading, Debating
140 Visagie Street
PO Box 8149, Pretoria, 0001
012 321 2094
Browse the best Argentina soccer jerseys