Saint Mary's School was established in 1936 by the Holy Rosary Missionary Sisters. At the time the school had two lower primary sections, one in Sharpeville and the other in Top Location which was later moved into Sharpeville. The school was later renamed Assumpta.
When in 1953 missionary schools were taken over by the state, Assumpta - like other Catholic schools - remained independent. The school struggled to keep qualified teachers because there was always a struggle to keep up their salaries.
The school served and developed the community of Sharpeville. Those who could not afford to continue beyond primary education had a chance to attend the domestic science centre where the Sisters taught them cooking and dressmaking. The Sisters conducted night schools for people who worked during the day and for youth who could not go to high schools.
In 1990 the school was torn between some teachers who wanted to participate in strike action and marches to demand better salaries and other benefits, and fee-paying parents who expected effective teaching and learning to go on.
Assumpta School, despite the shortage of finances, has survived and the community continues to appreciate the service and quality education they receive from the school.
Use of local parish church for school masses, computer centre, extra lessons, feeding scheme
Netball, soccer, drama, choir, traditional dancing
140 Visagie Street
PO Box 8149, Pretoria, 0001
012 321 2094